Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Wicked Wednesday

It is Wednesday, so it is time for comics. I'm writing this later than I would like too, but that will change in the near future as I start my new job and subsequently reset my life-rhythm. I haven't read everything that came out today but I try to focus on the big independent stuff, so if you are looking for me to talk about Marvel and DC comics in this entry prepare to be disappointed. Some neat things did release today: The Wicked + The Divine (2), Manifest Destiny (8), Next Testament (11), and The Squidder (1).
 Lots of other things happened today, but I either wasn't dazzled by them in the store, wasn't dazzled at home, or (in one case) the writer and artists identified themselves with their twitter handles, which filled my mouth with a really inky unpleasant taste. 


The Wicked + The Divine is a groovy new book that is being headed by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. I was a bit tentative to recommend it when I read issue one, mostly because I hardly knew what was going on, but now I am quite intrigued though I still don't know entirely what's going on. What I do know is that there are "Gods" walking around, and while they aren't as convincing as the son's of bitches in God is Dead or Next Testament they do still seem to have some mystical properties. The thing I love about this book is that there are a lot of characters and they are all convincingly unique, I feel a majority of this could be contributed to the art and their designs but they are written damn well too. If you love a comic with art that stands out without being an outlier, pick this story up. 

I read Manifest Destiny today, which is on my must read list. If you love the idea of playing with historical figures and folklore, which I do, then this book is for you. Chris Dingess has written this really exciting story in which I have no idea what is going to happen next and I am loving every single page. The story is made all the better by Roberts and Gieni on the art team, just killing it panel by panel. Plant Zombies? check. Giant Mosquitoes? check. And the ever looming threat of a not-quite-a-minotaur Minotaur? Vigorous check. If you haven't picked up this story drop what you are doing and get to your comic book store. 


Next Testament eleven. Wick is a monster god and the intro quote by Richard Dawkins is incredibly appropriate. This is a twelve issue run, so I will do a big thing when it ends, but I love it so much and I never can stop talking about it. Sadly, I doubt your store has all the issues still so wait for the trades and Buy them (issues 1-4)!

The Squidder, what do I say about the Squidder? It isn't all the time that I read an issue one with a sole creator and am completley blown away. I tend to feel that artist writer combos are a bit of a gamble these days, but this one is worth the chips. What I was expecting was some Lovecraftian mess with Templesmith's trademark aggressive art style; what I got was probably that but also a real story, a story about a man. I'm not convinced the man wasn't a space marine (mankind loving and Xenos hating), but he is a drifter badass now and I want more. If you pick up nothing else please for the love of Squid pick up this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment